Try this Sodexo recipe for a light treat
1 box ‘Moist’ white cake mix (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, etc)
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
½ cup natural applesauce (no sugar added)
3 egg whites
½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped finely
1 cup plain, fat free greek yogurt
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Thin slices of fresh strawberry
Dark chocolate shavings (use a vegetable peeler on the chocolate bar)
1. In a blender or food processor, combine 1st listed strawberry halves and applesauce. Puree until smooth.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pureed fruit & egg whites. With a hand mixer, beat at low speed for 1 minute, then on medium speed for 30 additional seconds (or, mix by hand until well combined.)
3. Fold in chopped strawberries.
4. Portion into regular muffin tins, lined with muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12 – 15 minutes, or until a toothpick, inserted into the center of a muffin in the center of the pan, comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.
5. To prepare icing, combine yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Stir gently to completely combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, minimum, to allow icing to thicken.
6. Dip cooled cupcakes, top facing down, into icing, to glaze the tops.
7. Optional garnishes: Place thin slices of strawberry on top of iced cupcakes, and a sprinkle of dark chocolate shavings.
Comparison: (comparing this recipe to cupcakes made with oil & water, and with ready-to-use frosting) 50% less calories — ¾ g. less fat (as opposed to 14 g.) — 40% less sodium
© 2011 Sodexo, Inc.